Is wearing the same old boring clothes in your closet making you sad? Would you like to have new spring clothes, but don’t have money to go shopping? With a little work, and some imagination, you can make your old clothes look new again!
Giselle is going out with her friends. She doesn’t want to wear this same old dress again because she has worn it a LOT, and her friends will probably have new spring clothes.
How can she make her old clothes look new?
1. Dress it up with accessories.
A simple way to make old clothes look new again is with accessories. Giselle added a scarf and belt to totally change her look! She finished it off with a cute pair of boots, and bracelets.
2. Mix and Match
Old clothes feel new when you mix and match them to create an awesome outfit you’ve never worn before! Giselle made this same dress look like a skirt by putting a pink sweater on top. Then she pushed the sleeves back to make it look like short sleeves. Finally, she layered a jean jacket vest on top of everything. Necklaces and Converse finish off the look. No one will even think this skirt is the same dress she wore before!
3. Layer with a sweater, jacket, or vest.
Giselle covered up her dress with a bright orange vest, and added a chunky necklace as an accent. Her roman sandals complete the look. Now Giselle is happy that she can so many different looks with that one dress.
4. Clean it up!
You might have an outfit that looks old or dirty. Sometimes, just tossing it in the washing machine will do the trick. The color will be brighter, it will smell good and the stain from your chocolate ice cream will be gone! Also, you can roll a lint remover over your clothes to get rid of dust, hairs or lint. It’s easy and kind of fun!
5. Give it a fun makeover!
Time to get creative! You can get ask a parent to help you give your old clothing a makeover. Here are some ideas:
- Add a fun little image to your old clothing by using something called Iron-On or Sew-On Appliques or Patches. They are like stickers made of fabric. Some are made to iron on, and others you sew onto your clothes. It stays! You can find an image you like, for example a happy face emoji or a yummy do-nut, and iron them onto an old t-shirt or jean jacket to make them look new and fun.
- Use fabric paint and a heart-shaped stencil to add hearts to a pair of old jeans. Experiment with different shapes and colors on your old clothes.
- Replace the buttons on a jacket or shirt with new buttons you like.
- Add press-on studs or stick on rhinestones to the collar of a shirt. Or, bedazzle the back pockets of your jeans or anywhere else you need a little sparkle. Be creative!
Can you come up with other creative ways to make your old clothes feel new again? Share them in the comments. We can’t wait to hear from you!